Short Form On Lessons From Short Form
Lessons (and questions) from this week’s experiences in focusing on short form
- I published four (five if you count this one) short-form articles on Medium this week. None went to publications.
- “Shortform” is a specific Medium format.
- Medium automatically classifies shortform content based on word count.
- Allegedly: “If your [sic] post 150 words or less, the entire post will appear in profile and publication preview feeds.” (Note: this has not been the case in my experience).
- Even Medium.com (see above) makes typos on what they put online!
- All of my shortform articles had engagement rates higher than many of my articles in some of Medium’s most popular publications.
- As of right now, my conclusion from this experiment is that the Medium has yet to fully deliver on the promise of this format.
- I’m self-conscious that I’ve missed something! Are you a fan or (or familiar with short-form)? Tell me what I am missing — if anything?